The Good Food Guide taken from the NHS information pack older people:
- Eat little and often, have 3 small meals daily as well as 2 – 3 snacks or milky drinks.
- Meat, chicken, fish, well cooked eggs, cheese, yoghurt, nuts, beans and lentils are good sources of protein, aim to have 2 servings per day.
- Drink at least 8 – 10 cups of fluid daily. Try milky drinks, fruit juice, fruit squash or soup instead of tea or coffee. Take drinks after meals rather than before so that they don’t fill you up.
- Use at least 1 pint of full cream milk daily (blue top, silver top, sterilised, or UHT).
- Have 1 serving of bread, potatoes, rice, pasta or cereal with each meal. Choose wholemeal varieties if you like these.
- Try to eat fruit and vegetables daily, but ensure more nourishing foods are eaten first. Drink a little glass of fruit juice or squash with added Vitamin C if little fruit is eaten.